Saturday, August 8, 2009

22 weeks, 2 days-BEDREST!

This just in, folks, I am officially on bedrest.

Yesterday morning, when I was at work, I noticed that I was having a lot of irritability/contractions. I tried to just not think about them and get some work done but by 12:30 or so I was worried. I was not quite sure what to do because I didn't want to go to the hospital for them just to tell me to go home but I didn't want to miss an opportunity to stop labor if it was really coming. I decided to call the advice nurse whom promptly stated to go straight to Labor and Delivery. I was scared again. When I got to L&D, they listened for the heartbeats; of course, Jocelyn didn't want to cooperate and it took them a long time to find hers. I was really freaking out. They finally found both of the HBs which sounded perfectly and hooked me up to the contraction moniter. I was contracting every 2-3 minutes. These were more like contractions, not irritability, even though they didn't really hurt. They gave me some turbutelin to try and stop the contractions but that didn't even make them waver. At the same time, the doc came in to examine me. My cervix is the same that it has always been, closed, firm, and 4 cms long. They gave me another medication to stop the contractions but it still didn't work. The doc was a little flabbergasted as to what to do. She told me that she was going to send me home with a prescription for the 2nd medication to take every 6 hours as needed. Since the contractions aren't changing my cervix, there is nothing that they can do for me in the hospital.

So I am on full blown bedrest until further notice... no work, no getting up unless I have to go to the bathroom. I don't know what I am going to do for the next 14 or so weeks. I think I am going to go stir-crazy. I am usually the kind of person that always wants to be on the run. I guess I can handle it knowing that my babies are safe and sound inside of me for another 98 days but who's counting anyway? I guess I am going to be on the internet a lot and watching TV, reading books... what else is there to do? I slept until 1:00 this after afternoon because c'mon what else is there to do? I am thinking about all the stuff I am going to miss over the next 3 or so months. School-shopping for my daughter, her starting soccer, first day of school, our family vacation to Orca's Island in September, our birthing classes, halloween...its all worth it if I have two healthy babies at the end.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog! I know what you mean about the contractions not hurting. I think that is one of the biggest mental things... I mean, they are contractions. They are "supposed" to hurt. When they dont, it's like, is everything okay?
    Was the second med Procardia? If you have normal blood pressure or tend to run low, just make sure that you monitor it. Bed rest can lower pressure anyway and Procardia can drop it even further. The last thing you want to do is get up to pee and stumble because you feel woozy! I run high and just the bedrest alone has caused them to drop my BP meds because I'm running way low (like 113/54 low).

    Thinking of you and counting down these weeks with you!! (And bedrest is doable... After 12w of it, I find the best thing to pass the time is sleep, followed by following A LOT of blogs and reading. :) )

    ReplyDelete